Fronteers 2011 – Bruce Lawson “HTML5 Semantics: you too can be a bedwetting antfucker”
On thursday after lunch, Bruce Lawson (@brucel) kicked off the afternoon sessions with a lengthy and interesting talk about semantics and “mierenneuken” (antfucking or as we would say in english: hair-splitting).
Here are the things I thought were interesting from his talk.
- Semantics are tough because it’s about content, and there is no such thing as a validator for it
- Semantics are about language and meaning, we currently have 105 elements in HTML5 to mark up our content meaniningful
- In HTML5 some elements have been redefined to give them meaning (like the
- There are 33 new elements in HTML5 (like
- Just because things don’t work yet, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t use them, because they will work
- The golden rule in semantics is: there is no golden rule (except you make a choice and stick to it: be consistent)
- Semantics matter, even if we may not have much use for them yet, we cannot know what they can be used for in the future